Sunday, April 7, 2013

To Belong and Be Loved

"Every child has a dream to belong and be loved." ~ Audio Adrenaline

We have very exciting news!  We are expecting!

That's right, we are a family of FOUR!

So far, our journey of becoming a family of four is a little different than most.  You see, I'm not pregnant.  Our precious child is currently in Eastern Europe.  We have begun the international adoption process and are thrilled to open our arms to the child God has determined will be the perfect fit in our family.  To fill you in on the details, I will simply type out a journal entry that I wrote several months ago. 

                                                          ~ ~ ~

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.  Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you.  You will seek Me and find Me when you seek Me with all your heart.  I will be found by you," declares the Lord, "and I will bring you back from captivity.  I will gather you from all the nations..."    ~ Jeremiah 29: 11-14a

Adoption.  It feels new on my tongue and at the same time has the sweet taste of familiarity.  I have known since I was a young girl that God was calling me to love the fatherless and care for the needs of the orphan.  Missions and orphans have always been my heart.  I even spent my childhood playing "orphanage" with my dolls;  I wanted them to know they were all loved equally.  About 6 months ago, I felt God's gentle nudging.  As the weeks passed, He became more persistent.  We went to an Adoption Options meeting at the Children's Home in November.  I remember not signing up for the door prizes because I didn't want to take away resources from someone who was wanting to adopt immediately.  God pursued me relentlessly.  Every song I heard, every sermon, every TV show, every radio DJ became about adoption to me, even if it was not the intended topic.  God had my full attention, but how would I convince my husband that our time frame we had planned wasn't what God was calling us to?  Faithfully, God reached him where he was.  He felt the same calling and we decided to step out in faith together.  In some ways, it is difficult to release the plans I have for our lives, in others, it is the most incredible sensation of freedom.  I know that His ways are not mine; I also know that His ways are better than I could ever imagine.

We have researched countries and agencies.  After looking all over the globe for "our" country and discovering that our favorite agency does find us eligible (age-wise) for a country after all, we find ourselves staring squarely at a map of Eastern Europe.

 Jeremiah 29:11 keeps coming to mind.  For the first time, though, I don't hear it in the context of my future.  Our God has a plan for these children.  Plans to grow and prosper them, not a plan for evil.  Plans to give them a HOPE and a FUTURE.  My God is strong and my God is mighty to save.  I don't know how it will all work.  I have laid before Him my fears about paying for an international adoption.  His response was quick, but gentle and powerful, "Beloved, I have made a way."  A holy and intimate moment that gives me the courage to persevere through the unknown.  He doesn't owe me an explanation, but He paid my ransom, and for that I owe Him my faith and devotion.

God knows what the rest of my life looks like.  He knows all of our children intimately, after all, He is the One who knits them together.  He knows how and when they will become a part of our family, whether adopted or biological.  Our job is to be faithful in following His calling for our lives. 

This process has easily been the biggest spiritual growth I have ever known.  I understand now what it means to be emptied of yourself to bring someone into your family.  To choose to unconditionally love someone who does not yet love you.  To understand in some small way, that this is the heart of the Father.

                                                    ~ ~ ~

I wanted to write out this blog so that those who are already a part of our life and those who will hear about our story will be able to follow along on this journey with us.  In coming posts, I will explain more about the route we are taking and exactly how God is moving.  We appreciate all of your support and prayers. 

To close, I will share the link to the song that started us on this journey.  For those of you who know us, you know how dear Haiti is to our hearts.  The gentle nudging God used when I heard this song on the radio became a loud call when I watched the video and saw it was filmed with precious orphans in Haiti. 

God used this song to begin leading me down this path.  A few weeks later, He called the hubby with the same song.
The line that took my breath away?  "These could be our daughters and our sons."
For the hubs?  "Every child has a dream to belong and be loved."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U64bongHqYU

No comments:

Post a Comment